Thursday, April 16, 2009

WEEK 2, #3: Create Your Own Blog

Oops!  I didn't read carefully enough and I set up my blog so I could write about Thing #1 and Thing #2.  No harm, though.  

I was watching Pirates of the Caribbean while I was working, and Johnny Depp (aka Capti'n Jack Sparrow) kept saying, "Saavy?"  I thought to myself, "Saavy? Yeah, that's what my goal is." Hence, my blog name.

While I was making my second post, I played around a bit with adding images.  The post ended up looking like a story from Highlights magazine, but it was fun.  It also brought to mind the question of whether or not it's o.k. to use images without crediting its source.  

Creating the Avatar was a blast.  While I experimented with the scarlet red dress and high heels, I decided on something more real, my perfect day.  It was a little creepy to create myself, but I was able to find the right hair, glasses, everything!   In addition to exporting it for use in my blog, I downloaded the smaller version of my avatar to use as my picture on Twitter.  That was helpful, because all of the pictures I had of me on my computer were too big!

Curriculum Connection:  Start a book discussion blog -- it is a library and language arts favorite. Start one today and then branch out into other topics such as pro/con topics of interest.  

My class's book blog started me down this whole Web 2.0 path last year.  I began it not knowing what I was doing, and my students and I learn together as we go.  The reason I began it was because my students HATED to write reading responses, but they loved to write anything on the computer.  Now kids post, once or twice a month, about self-selected books they are reading, or about their book club books.  The blog also has links to other items of interest, including blogs, websites, and student photographs.

Right now, the blog's becoming unwieldy, and I need to make some choices about how to manage it better.  I've removed most of the slideshows and have unpublished some of the older posts.  This is an area I really need to learn more about.  Our book blog can be seen at http://maggie-kidstalkbooks.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment