Thursday, April 16, 2009

WEEK 8, #19: Library Thing

Library Thing is interesting, and I'm still digesting it. Of course, the first thing I thought of was cataloging my classroom library but, with about 2500 books in it, that seems daunting! LibraryThing would be a great way for kids to keep track of the books they have read -- goodbye reading logs! The Children's Online Privacy Act, however, presents a problems in doing this.

While I could have one LibraryThing account for the entire class, this is what I use my reading blog for. The advantage that the reading blog has over LibraryThing is that my kids learn how to blog by participating in it -- and blogging is a current skill. Also, LibraryThing is still BETA, and so I wonder what happens if it closes? Do I really want to invest a lot of time in something that could disappear without notice?

I like the book discussions. For me, however, it is important to know the person who is recommending or commenting on a book. I know which of my friends have tastes similar to mine, so those people's thoughts about books are more credible to me. LibraryThing would be a wonderful tool for collaborating with our librarian. She always has such great recommendations, and it would be good to have them all in one place!

My catalog link is: http://www.librarything.com/home/mfront

No comments:

Post a Comment