Thursday, April 16, 2009

WEEK 3, #6: Flickr fun and mashups



Okay the trading cards are great.  I made this one of my daughter using FD Toys' Trading Card Maker.  Coming across this application now seems like kizmit because I just ordered a bunch of trading card-sized watercolor paper for class pro
jects.  I think the kids will like making trading cards in a variety of mediums; this application will be a great addition to that project.

Another idea I have for using the trading cards is as an initial tech project at the beginning of the year, kind of an adaptation of the traditional "How I Spent My Summer" exercise.  I need to think more about this, however, because it requires kids to be set up to use online applications, which is a very involved process.





I also tried FD Toy's Captioner on this old prom picture.  Since my students LOVE making comic books, this would probably be a big hit.  Adding the bubbles was easy, and I liked the optional stamps.   The only downside I could find is that I could not scale the bubbles; they're one standard size.  That was a little frustrating to work with.  














This image was made using FD Toys' Bead Art.  It was kind of fun to play around with, and it was tricky to get the bead color just the way I wanted it.  I was surprised at how much the image was influenced by the selection of the bead color.  I ended up going with a dark purple because it emphasized the shape of the mini and minimized the background in this photograph.  I think that this is a good application to know about, but I wouldn't want it see it overused.  The effect becomes tiresome.

No comments:

Post a Comment