Thursday, April 16, 2009

WEEK 3, #7: Blog About Technology

Since my son's gone to college on the opposite coast, this has become one of my favorite applications.  I like being able to chat together, Jetson's-style. I think about how, when I went away to college, it was hard to share the one pay phone on my floor, and I would go months without seeing my family, so I was really disconnected.  Cell phones, computers, and Skype have changed all that.   

One of my best friends now works at the American School in Qatar, and she rang me up while I was working today.  With Skype, distance doesn't diminish my relationships the way it used to.


 When I first explored Facebook, I felt like a voyeur in my kids' world.  And, while it's assumed that most kids facebook these days, I love that more people my age are joining.  In the last month I've reconnected with a college friend and my nephew, plus I have all sorts of adults from my community that I'm friends with.  My initial reaction was that it was impersonal and superficial, but I've found that it is another great way to keep connected to people in this crazy-paced world we live in.  I can keep up to date with what friends are doing, and it seems like no time at all has passed when we get together.


I'm trying to figure out Twitter.  I think that if I used a Blackberry, it would make more sense because I could stay more current.  As it is, I have to log in on my computer to keep up. This doesn't take much time, but it has become one more thing to do.  At this point I'm following a few individuals and sites that I'm interested in, such as my local independent bookstore and a local author.  It startled me, though, when I got a message that someone was following me; now I feel pressured to have something to say!


I added my comment to Portals to Learning, thing 7: http://janertl2.blogspot.com/. Hopefully, my friend Jane will set up a Twitter id and explore Twitter with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment