Thursday, April 16, 2009

WEEK 5, #11: Web 2.0 Award Winners

See full size image
onesentence.org

Clever, diverting, addicting.  This site is everything I love and hate about the web.  




See full size image


http://docs.google.com

I can't say enough about this product.  I have used in in my 5th grade classroom all year long and it is fantastic.  It allows kids to work on a document at home and at school, without carrying a flash drive back and forth.  It also allows several students to work on one document together, which is how writing really works in the real (aka non-school) world.  What I have liked the most about GoogleDocs, however, is that it has revolutionized writer's workshop.  Kids invite me to their documents and then we are able to talk about them online.  I can leave notes for the author, and vis versa.  Best of all, if a student accidently erases or deletes work, every single revision of the document is available to be recalled.  I LOVE this product!


See full size image

http://www.go2web20.net/

I looked up and down the award winner list to find something that I don't currently use that would be particularly useful to me.  I came across this site, which is a wealth of information about web 2.0 applications -- a web application index!


I signed up with a discussion group on ning -- image, it was a Classroom 2.0 site.  Although I understand the need to try new projects, I feel like I am getting spread too thin.  Just for this class I am writing my blog, checking colleague's blogs, and posting on moodle.  In my life, I facebook, twitter, manage google reader, skype, and email (3 separate accounts).  And I'm sure I've forgotten something!   When I was checking Twitter this morning, I noticed a posting via TweetDeck, so I investigated it.  TweetDeck, at first glance, looks like an interface to manage social networking, so I'll probably look into using it.  If only someone would develop a product that pulls everything together in one place, that would be a godsend.

No comments:

Post a Comment